What should be the strategy for the JEE Main and Advanced?
This is your comprehensive guide for JEE Main and JEE Advanced preparation that covers how to prepare for IIT-JEE, subject-wise tips and strategy, the exam pattern of JEE Main and JEE Advanced, best reference books, past years papers, examination details and coaching requirement.
Index of JEE Main and JEE Advanced Strategy
How to Prepare for JEE Main and JEE Advanced?
Strategy for JEE Main and Advanced
JEE Main and JEE Advanced preparation is same. The JEE books are same. The JEE study material is same. The preparation strategy is same. The difference comes when you solve mock tests and previous years papers of JEE Main and JEE Advanced.
Go through the complete JEE syllabus at start. You need to learn topics, understand concepts and practice questions as per the syllabus. It is important that your basics of almost all the topics are clear and that you can tackle easy or moderate level problems in those topics, because sometimes easier questions may come from the topics which you didn’t prepare that well.
Make a study schedule or timetable (a simple one). Identify your most productive hours and study every day. Take small breaks between study sessions to maintain the focus and concentration in studies. Make sure you achieve your daily or weekly targets.
JEE Main and Advanced Study Tips and Strategy
Here are some key JEE Main and JEE Advanced preparation tips :
- Don’t refer multiple books and material in your preparation. An IIT-JEE coaching study material is more than enough to cover the syllabus.
- Your best study comes in silence, so get rid of any distraction that disturbs you in studies. Build up your interest in all the three subjects, PCM, equally.
- Work on your concepts so that you will be able to solve every type of question in the exam. You can use Feynman Technique to get in-depth understanding of any concept or topic. You should be aware of simple, basic concepts before knowing the complex ones. New concept delivered in a way that builds upon existing topics/concepts is easier to make sense of and retain.
- Study examples carefully. They help you to relate concepts to real world things. You can understand theory better with the help of examples.
- Break down the topic into several parts. Learn one by one. Visualise things. Draw diagrams to understand the concepts well.
- Make problem solving a habit. Spend some time everyday in solving problems. Only covering the theory will get you nowhere. You have to reach to the solution in fastest possible time. Learn to apply tricks in solving problems.
- Balance Speed and Accuracy. [Tips to Improve Speed, Accuracy and Reduce Negative Marking in IIT-JEE]
- Don’t mug up things. Avoid cramming unless it’s some chemistry part or basic formulas. Highlight the important terms that you are not understanding. Search online or ask someone to explain them to you.
- Make notes from day one of your preparation. Having self-made notes is one of the best asset in clearing JEE. Make notes of important terms, formulae, reactions, mistakes while solving problems, etc. Include your own shortcuts and tricks.
- Time management is very important to clear JEE exam. To manage time well, you need to solve mock tests. In your tests and exam, attempt that subject first in which you are most comfortable. Prepare an exam strategy and stick to it during mock tests and JEE. You should also know the right way to practice the problems.
- Check the analysis after finishing the test (available in JEE online test series). If you can’t analyse your test, you don’t know how to improve in next test. You have to identify your mistakes. If you got a question wrong, understand why you got it wrong. Find out what you’re good at and not so good at. Work on your weakness.
- Consistency is the key. Instead of studying all night one day and sleeping on the next day, it is better to study for equal hours on both days.
- Start revising early. Include specific revision slot in your JEE preparation schedule. For efficient preparation, consistent revision is necessary. [Top IIT-JEE revision tips]
- Clear your doubts and questions. Don’t hesitate to ask someone who knows that topic or subject well. [IIT qualified experienced teachers are available at the comfort of your home through JEE online courses].
- Be smart about your goals and strategy. It’s okay to make mistakes but be smart enough to learn from them. [How to study smart for JEE]
- Don’t panic and stay calm during tough situations.
Physics Strategy for JEE Main and JEE Advanced
Clear the basics concepts well for Physics. Physics requires logical thinking, a thorough understanding of fundamental concepts and the application of mathematics to solve questions. Physics relies less on memory and more on applying ideas and concepts to solve questions.
Physics is different than other subjects because it is so heavily based upon problem solving. Start by simple problems and then move on to more difficult problems. Solving problems help you gain clear knowledge about the concept.
Solve variety of questions from coaching study material. The JEE study material will have all the theory and questions as per JEE level.
Related Posts :
How to study physics for JEE Main and JEE Advanced?
What are the best ways to solve physics problems in IIT JEE?
How to tackle physics conceptual questions in JEE?
Chemistry Strategy for JEE Main and JEE Advanced
For Physical Chemistry, Read from NCERT and have your concepts clarified at your coaching institute. After you are done with a chapter, write down all equations from that chapter in a notebook for quick reference while solving problems. Solve problems from NCERT and your coaching material.
In Organic Chemistry, you need to study all reaction mechanisms and remember all named reactions. Make notes while you study each chapter. Write down the name of the reaction, mechanism (if required), and a few example reactions and exceptions (if any).
Inorganic Chemistry involves a lot of memorizing. Study NCERT properly.
Make notes. Notes are very very important for Chemistry. Specially when it comes to remembering things. Make it a point to note down the key points. And keep referring to them. Just go through them before going to bed. This will help you a lot.
Related Post : How to Master Chemistry for IIT-JEE?
Maths Strategy for JEE Main and JEE Advanced
Practice, practice, practice, is the only key for Mathematics. From wherever you can. The maximum you can. The concepts and the formulas should be at your fingertips. Know every shortcut possible. Know every formula possible. Never make the blunder of deriving formulae in the exam. There’s no better way of falling short of time.
Mathematics requires a lot of concentration, skill and brainwork. A working amount of memory is required to recall the formulas and methods. So don’t go in with the expectation that everything is just thought and understanding-oriented.
Related Posts :
How to increase math skills in IIT JEE Preparation?
The right approach to get better at maths in JEE preparation
Strategy for Board Exams and IIT-JEE
Board exams basically test your knowledge while IIT-JEE questions test application of knowledge. Acquiring knowledge with clear concepts will take care of you Boards. JEE Main and JEE Advanced requires more practice, speed, accuracy and time management skills using various results and tricks.
You have to be flexible between solving questions for board exams and JEE. Board exams have step-wise marking scheme, you need to write in points, flowcharts and diagrams are part of the answers. While in JEE, you just want the answer in shortest possible time with rough calculations.
Make a best use of your school time to study for your school board exams. If you put your best effort, you can score great marks in both IIT-JEE and board exams.
JEE Main (New) and JEE Advanced exam pattern
JEE Main and JEE Advanced 2019 examination will be conducted in online mode (computer-based). In the JEE online mode, students will take up the examination at designated exam centres where they need to answer the questions on a computer instead of using pen and paper.
From 2019, JEE Main will be conducted twice a year, in January and April. It will be conducted in computer-based mode. Students will have the choice to attempt one or both exams. Those appeared in both the attempts; their best of the two scores will be considered further for preparation of Merit List /Rankings.
Related Page : JEE Main and JEE Advanced Online Exam Pattern
Related Post : Students Guide to JEE Advanced Online Exam
Best Books for JEE Main and Advanced
Don’t read too many reference books for JEE. Stick to one good MCQ book or study from a JEE coaching material. Don’t undermine the NCERTs. Solved examples and summary is of great help. NCERT is recommended for chemistry.
Recommended books for JEE
JEE Main and JEE Advanced Past Years Papers
Solving past years papers will give you best idea of the level of questions asked in JEE Main and JEE Advanced. Solve minimum last 10 years JEE Main and JEE Advanced papers.
JEE Main Past Years Papers
JEE Advanced Past Years Papers
Things to Avoid in IIT JEE preparation
- Inconsistency/Procrastination : Procrastination is a lazy habit that results in backlogs. Finishing homework and assignments on time is a habit which helps in clearing JEE. Be consistent. Stick to your study schedule and plan.
- Multitasking : Don’t study while you’re watching TV, getting sleepy, or thinking something else not related to your preparation. Always study with full concentration. Don’t perform any other task when you are studying for JEE.
- Study Distractions : Avoid anything that can take your precious time, IIT-JEE need your focus and dedication, rest of the things can wait.
- Becoming sad due to low scores in tests : JEE monthly/weekly tests in coaching or mock tests are just to evaluate your understanding and learning. Don’t get demotivated because of low scores in tests. It’s a continuous effort till the exam day. Have patience, keep trying and don’t give up.
- Long study hours : Avoid long study hours if it results in fatigue. Small breaks after 60–70 minutes of study can improve your productivity.
- Negative People/Thoughts : Stay in the group of positive people who motivates you. Whether it’s your friends, peers, parents and teachers, you need support from people around you.
JEE Main and JEE Advanced Examination Details
JEE Main Exam Details
JEE Advanced Exam Details
Is Coaching Required to Clear JEE Main and JEE Advanced?
Yes, coaching helps a lot. A coaching institute has systematic and well defined process to prepare students for IIT-JEE. The teachers in coaching have many years of experience of preparing students for IIT-JEE, not just in terms of academics but also in handling mental pressure of students. [5 Signs you need a coaching to clear IIT-JEE]
IIT-JEE Online Preparation
A team of experienced and qualified teachers (including IITians) are preparing students for IIT-JEE in online mode using computer/laptop and internet connection. It’s like a normal classroom where you will be able to interact with teachers and can ask your doubts.
Some of the key advantages of Mystudycart online coaching for JEE Main and JEE Advanced are – Live 2-way interactive online classes, short batches, performance analysis, proper counseling, hard-copy study material, DPPs, online test series and regular monitoring.
Check out a free online demo class now.
For queries related to JEE online courses and scholarship, you may contact us on +91-888-2124-333.