The variety of approaches required to crack the JEE physics problems is beyond what one can possibly fathom. It often requires creativity and out-of-the-box thinking. But here is a General approach:
- Prerequisite: You need to be well-versed with the results and the fundamental theories on which the results are based.
- Understand the phenomenon discussed in the problem:
- Identify the laws of physics which are at play (for example, questions with blocks submerged in liquid could have Archimedes principle involved).
- Identify the phenomenon affecting the objects in question. Such phenomenon tends to bring about a change to the system. (So a block immersed in a liquid will experience a buoyant force upwards).
- Intuitively realize the qualitative effect of the above phenomenon on the objects of concern. (So this block, as a result of buoyant force, will want to accelerate upwards, so a string attached to the block may get taut, or the weight of the block might balance it out).
- Thus, get an intuitive understanding of what is happening in the scenario discussed in the question. Also, make note of the assumptions involved.
- Identify the mathematical equations, which can best describe the scenario in the question:
- Once you have an intuitive idea of the question, translate this idea into equations.
- So for a block submerged in a liquid, mg + T= Vdg best describes the fact that the block is submerged in a liquid of density d and has a string tension T, pulling it down.
- Identify the variables and solve for them:
- Identify the variables needed to solve the question.
- Make sure that you have sufficient number of equations to solve for them.
- If a certain parameter is neither given nor can it be determined, it probably doesn’t matter.
- Recheck if possible: Go back to your solution, review the laws used, the approach taken and the assumptions made. Make sure that no silly mistakes creep in.
Try to understand the purpose behind setting a question. The person who created the question expected that the problem will test a certain concept. Also realize that no question is unsolvable, but some questions take re efforts than others. Be open minded; and every now and then, you will come across a beautiful solution.
Related Post :