IIT JEE 2024 Study Plan, Preparation Strategy, Online Coaching
This is a preparation guide for IIT JEE 2024 aspirants. Here we will cover JEE preparation tips, strategy, study plan and all other important things to keep in mind for the JEE 2024 examination.
IIT JEE 2024 Preparation [Table of contents]
How to Start Preparing for IIT JEE 2024?
At the start of JEE preparation, you can do the below things.
- Build a habit to study every day.
- Make a study schedule or daily timetable and try to follow it.
- Choose the books and material you require for JEE preparation.
- Join a coaching (online) and attend regular classes.
- Do homework/ assignments on time and avoid backlogs.
- Give sufficient time to Math, Physics, Chemistry, all three subjects.
- Focus on understanding concepts and applying them to problems.
- Learn to practice questions and enjoy solving them.
Related Post : 10 Things to Keep in Mind When Starting IIT JEE Preparation
JEE Preparation After Class 10 Board Exams
Many students start their JEE preparation just after the class 10 board exams. There is no point in wasting time waiting for the board results. Take a week off, if required to refresh your mind, and then start your JEE preparation journey. Most of the coaching providers start their JEE 2 year batches just after the board exams.
IIT JEE 2024 Study Plan and Preparation Strategy
- Commit to your schedule. You should have defined study sessions to ensure you are building your knowledge of the subjects instead of cramming it all at the last minute. Break down your study sessions into 45-60 mins sessions (based on how long you can concentrate) and then take a short break of 5-10 mins. Do things which you like to relax your mind. Only thing to keep in mind is – Time. Be very strict. If you are taking a 10 minute break, stick to it. No extra minutes. Go back to studies.
- Identify your most productive hours. If you remember things and focus better early in the morning, then study more during that time. Studying 10-12 hours each day is not necessary for JEE. A well-concentrated 4-6 hrs of self study, other than coaching time, is sometimes more than enough. Consistency is very important. Instead of studying all night one day and sleeping on the next day, it is better to study for equal hours on both days.
- Clear all the basics in all subjects. Try not to skip topics. If you find any topic boring, then incorporate new effective methods of studying to make it more interesting. You can do this by active learning where you can question yourself, make flowcharts, tables and diagrams etc.
- It is important that your basics of almost all the topics are clear and that you can tackle easy or moderate level problems in those topics, because sometimes easier questions may come from the topics which you didn’t prepare that well.
- Understand concepts well and practice problems. You need consistent practice to improve speed and accuracy. Objective questions (MCQs) test your concept thoroughly. If you know that you are not very familiar with the concepts involved in the problem, don’t attempt it, rather study the concept first and then attempt the problem.
- Think of different ways of solving problems. A question does not end with just getting the right answer. Instead, after getting the correct answer, you should think about how else you could have solved that problem. You can also refer to the solution after solving the problem. You may find some other alternative approach to the problem. You have to reach the solution in the fastest possible time. Learn to apply tricks in solving problems. Teachers in coaching will help you.
- Appear for mock tests, and assess yourself regularly. Take a look at each test and analyse if there’s anything you can do to improve your score. The purpose of the periodic tests in coaching is to make you realise your mistakes and not to repeat them in the succeeding tests. "Count the marks you lose due to silly mistakes, conceptual error, wrong interpretation of any question and other mistakes. After every test, compare it with the previous one. This will not only reduce your chance of committing a mistake but also it will motivate you as marks will increase." - Apoorv Agrawal (IIT Indore).
- Resolve your doubts quickly. If you don’t understand anything, ask the same question again and again from your teacher.
- Make your own notes. Making notes is one of the best assets in JEE preparation. It’s easy and convenient to revise handmade notes in your own style and format, rather than revising from thick books and coaching modules. Make a separate notebook for remembering formulas in all three subjects.
- It's very important to go through your class notes each day after class. Things are fresh then and when you revise that time only, the whole scenario starts becoming clear. It's also directly related to your understanding in the class the next day.
- Notebook for mistakes : "Make a notebook containing your mistakes. Whenever you make any mistakes in a mock test or forget a concept or formula etc. note it down in this notebook. As time passes you’ll have a collection of mistakes which you aren’t supposed to commit in exams. Revise from this copy regularly. This would help you score higher." - Ashesh Pradhan (IIT Kharagpur).
- Start revising early. It’s not just after finishing the syllabus or before the exam, revision is a continuous process during regular studies. It must happen daily in some form or other. Include a specific revision slot in your JEE preparation schedule. Don’t procrastinate the revision time for new study.
- Take proper sleep. Compromising on sleep makes you sluggish and lazy. Ideally you need 6–8 hours of sleep to get active throughout the day.
- Be determined. Stay positive. There will be times when you would find it difficult to understand and manage things. Do not give up.
Note : The thing with planning and strategy is that it shouldn’t be time consuming. The time consuming part is action, you actually moving forward, and following the strategy. Don’t get confused with questions like “What to study?”, “From where should I begin?”, “When to study?”. Start with your favourite subject. It will give you confidence to prepare for the JEE exam.
Subject-wise Study Tips for IIT JEE 2024
Physics requires logical thinking, a thorough understanding of fundamental concepts and the application of mathematics to solve problems. Physics relies less on memory and more on applying ideas and concepts to solve problems. Understanding the concepts and solving problems is the key to score well in physics. Master the basics of the subject rather than memorizing the formulas. While preparing, keep your concepts clear before you go for questions. Numerical problems and conceptual questions, both are important for JEE.
Golden rule to master physics in JEE : Practice, Practice, and Practice Problems. The objective is to solve so many questions that you start to anticipate which method would likely work best. With experience, you'll be able to see solutions quickly.
For Mathematics, practice is very much important. Formulae should be on your tips. Know every shortcut possible. Mathematics is not just solving, it needs a little visualisation skills too (ex.- graphs and curve sketching).
"Work on the theory really well. At least understand the basic idea. What are we calculating? Why are we doing so? What is its significance? Where is it applied? A working amount of memory is required to recall the formulas and methods. So don’t go in with the expectation that everything is just thought and understanding-oriented. You will have to remember bulk of stuff in the beginning. With time it will eject out as a reflex." - Rajanish Kumar Upadhyay (IIT Mandi).
The best way to study Organic Chemistry for JEE is to learn by understanding and then revising it again and again. Write a summary of important points. Start with the basics and then move ahead with complex concepts. Practice problems each time when you study a topic. Make a separate notebook for named reactions & their mechanism and revise it daily.
For Physical Chemistry, Read from NCERT and have your concepts clarified at your coaching institute. To become good at Physical Chemistry you need to develop problem solving skills. Be thorough with all the formulae. You should know all the formulas of chemical bonding, equilibrium, kinetics, radioactivity etc. Solving a lot of problems in Physical Chemistry helps.
Inorganic Chemistry involves a lot of memorization. Study NCERT properly. Make precise notes for each chapter. You might think it is a waste of time right now to maintain so many notes but they’ll prove indispensable for your JEE revision.
Related Post : How to Study Chemistry for IIT-JEE (Main and Advanced)
IIT JEE 2024 Syllabus [JEE Main + JEE Advanced]
Complete syllabus for JEE Main 2024: JEE Main Syllabus.
New revised syllabus for JEE Advanced 2024: JEE Advanced Revised Syllabus.
Best Books for IIT JEE 2024 Preparation
See the list of books recommended by IITians and teachers for JEE preparation : Best books for JEE preparation
You may not be required to study from too many books if you follow the JEE study material of a coaching. The study material is prepared specifically for JEE level concepts and questions.
Things to Avoid in IIT JEE 2024 Preparation
- Depending only on self study: There is a reason why students who clear JEE give due credit to coaching and teachers for their performance. Teachers in coaching have many years of experience in preparing students for JEE. They will resolve your doubts, correct your mistakes and give you the right direction to achieve results.
- Inconsistency in Studies : Always keep yourself up to date with what’s going on in the class, avoid falling back in the syllabus. Whatever is taught in the class, should be covered well before the next class.
- Getting depressed due to low scores in tests. Don’t think about the final paper, the JEE exam, focus on doing better in the next test. It’s a gradual process of improvement till the final day of the exam.
- Procrastination and Backlogs : Procrastination and bad habits are a sign that something has to change - whether that be the study itself or your current style of studying. Avoid backlogs. It’s okay sometimes to miss the daily study schedule, you can cover that during the week. But what’s not good is staring at your books, daydreaming, and doing nothing.
- Excessive TV/ Social media/ Video games: Don't get addicted to unnecessary distractions like TV, social media, video games etc. The distractions come due to lack of interest in studies. If you badly want something, your aim is clear to achieve it. You’ll have plenty of time later to spend your time enjoying things you miss out during the preparation.
When Should I Start Coaching for IIT JEE 2024?
You should start taking coaching for IIT JEE 2024 as soon as possible. For school preparation, you may manage by yourself, but for JEE Main and Advanced, you need some kind of guidance and monitoring. Teachers in coaching will help you a lot in the preparation of IIT JEE. In coaching classes, you can ask your doubts, queries, study methods or anything that is getting you trouble.
Best Online Coaching for IIT JEE 2024
Mystudycart is an online coaching platform that provides best online coaching for IIT JEE. Mystudycart online classes are live and interactive that allows 2-way communication between teacher and student. It’s like a normal classroom where you will be able to interact with the teacher and can ask your doubts. A team of experienced and qualified teachers (including IITians) will teach you online at your home. The batch calendar will be given to you in advance. The hard copy study material will be delivered to your home after the enrollment, and a free online test series will also be provided for solving mock tests.
Abrar Syed (student of Indian School Al Ghubra, Oman) enrolled with Mystudycart for JEE 2 Year Course after class 10.
In this video, Abrar talks about Mystudycart online classes, student understanding, the faculty, study material and online test series.
Do you like to prepare for JEE Main and JEE Advanced 2024 from experienced and highly qualified teachers, right from your home? Book a Free Online Demo Class now.
For queries related to our online courses and scholarship, you may contact us on +91-888-2124-333.