KVPY 2019-20 Study Plan + Preparation Strategy + Books & Study Material
For science students who are in grade/class 11th, 12th and 12th pass-outs, if you want to clear KVPY examination, the below points will be useful in your preparation for KVPY online test. The badge of being a KVPY Scholar is a prestigious one and it provides direct admission to top institutes like IISc and the various IISERs.
The study preparation tips and points for KVPY 2019-20 that we are going to cover here.
For KVPY SA/SX/SB streams, important dates, application form, selection procedure, eligibility criteria and scholarship rewards under KVPY scheme - KVPY Examination Details.
KVPY 2019-20 Examination Pattern
KVPY exam consist of two stages – 1) Online Aptitude Test (Science and Math) in November. 2) Interview in January-February, if you clear KVPY aptitude test.
KVPY SA exam has two parts. In Part-I, 60 questions (15 each of PCMB) will be asked. In Part-II, 20 questions (5 each of PCMB) will be asked. Part-I has 1 mark questions, while Part-II has 2 marks questions. A KVPY SA aspirant has to attempt all subjects in Part-I and part-II.
KVPY SX/SB exam has two parts. In Part-I, there will be 80 questions (20 each of PCMB), a student have to attempt only 3 subjects questions i.e. 60 questions. In Part-II, there will be 40 questions (10 each of PCMB), a student have to attempt only 2 subjects questions i.e. 20 questions.
See KVPY FAQ to know more about KVPY paper pattern.
How to Prepare for KVPY SA and SX/SB?
The KVPY exam tests the aptitude and analytical ability of the student. It checks your application oriented knowledge and conceptual questions will be asked in the KVPY online examination. The prerequisites for a good score in KVPY exam is clarity of concepts. For KVPY, knowing how to solve a problem isn’t enough. It’s important to know why you solve the problem that way.
KVPY 2019-20 Study Plan and Preparation Tips
- If you are KVPY class 11 SA aspirant, then all the subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology) are equally important. Don't give preference to any one subject.
- For KVPY SX/SB : Study any three subjects you’re strong in. In that two should be extremely strong.
- If you are JEE or NEET aspirant, follow JEE or NEET study material respectively. For Biology, NCERT is best.
- Study all the concepts and topics thoroughly. You need to have strong concepts understanding to perform well in KVPY exam. KVPY relies less on memory and more on applying ideas and concepts to solve problems.
- While practicing questions if you know that you are not much familiar with the concepts involved in the question, don’t attempt it, rather study the concept first and then solve the question.
- Make summary sheets to revise important concepts and formulas weekly in all subjects. This is common for KVPY, JEE and NEET preparation.
- Create a habit of problem solving. The more problems you solve, the more you will become familiar with strategies for picking the right formula in tests and exam.
- Try to visualize the question. Write down the given information, draw a diagram of situation and write the thing you have to find. Do this with easier questions first and then difficult questions.
- Make notes of each and every topic (important terms, formulas, reactions, mistakes while solving problems). Make a separate notebook for remembering formulas in each subject. Keep revising what you learn during the preparation.
- KVPY exam have enough time to solve less number of questions. Maintain accuracy and avoid negative marking.
- Solve KVPY previous years papers to practice type of questions you can expect in the KVPY examination. Check paper pattern and marking scheme to prepare well for the exam.
- Since KVPY exam will be conducted in computer-based mode, it's recommended to practice online mock tests of KVPY. Find your weak links and silly mistakes and work on them. The goal is to improve with each test.
- Don’t get nervous if you are not able to complete the syllabus till November. Try to join a dedicated KVPY course which focuses on completing KVPY syllabus before the examination.
- Be positive and don’t panic. Yes, the exam is early but it’s the same for all KVPY aspirants. Make sure you understand concepts properly and practice KVPY level questions.
- For tips related to KVPY Interview, read the post by Soumyadeep Thakur (KVPY Scholar) : KVPY Interview Experience and Tips.
Subject-wise Study Strategy for KVPY SA and SX/SB
Physics requires logical thinking, a thorough understanding of fundamental concepts and the application of mathematics to solve problems. Understanding the concepts and practicing problems is the key to score well in Physics. While preparing, keep your concepts clear before you go for questions.
Practice conceptual questions in Physics. Take up problems that relate theoretical physics to daily life. Your analytical skills will be tested in solving the questions.
Golden rule to master physics : Practice, Practice, and Practice Problems. The objective is to solve so many questions that you start anticipate which method would likely work best. With experience you’ll be able to see solution quickly.
For Mathematics, practice is very much important. Formulas should be on your tips. Know every shortcut possible. Learn important Results and theorems. Mathematics is not just solving, it needs a little visualisation skills too (ex.- graphs and curve sketching). You are going to face a lots of IQ-based problems in KVPY Maths.
The best way to study Organic Chemistry for KVPY is to learn by understanding and then revising it again and again. Write summary of important points. Start with the basics and then move ahead with complex concepts. Practice problems each time when you study a topic. Make a separate notebook for named reactions & their mechanism and revise it daily.
For Physical Chemistry, Read from NCERT and have your concepts clarified at your coaching institute. To become good at Physical Chemistry you need to develop problem solving skills. Be thorough with all the formulae. Solve good quality problems in Physical Chemistry.
Inorganic Chemistry involves a lot of memorizing. Study NCERT properly. Make precise notes for each chapter. You might think it is a waste of time right now to maintain so many notes but they’ll prove indispensable for your revision.
For KVPY, NCERT Biology is sufficient. Remember the diagrams and their labellings. Practice MCQs in Biology. Solving questions is equally important in Biology as it is in Physics and Chemistry. Make your own notes in Biology, include flow charts and shortcuts to learn important topics.
KVPY 2019-20 Syllabus SA SX/SB Stream
While there is no specified or official syllabus for KVPY, students are tested as per their respective class/grade syllabus. KVPY SA aspirants have to study Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology syllabus till class 11th. KVPY 2019 SX/SB stream syllabus includes Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology topics till Class 12th. KVPY aspirants need to finish the syllabus before November 2019.
KVPY Study Material
KVPY aspirants can study from NCERT books and IIT-JEE (NEET for Biology) coaching material. KVPY SA aspirants have to study topics of class 11th only, where as KVPY SX/SB aspirants have to study topics of class 11th and 12th. If your basic concepts are strong till class 10th, then it's an advantage in KVPY examination.
KVPY Preparation Books SA SX/SB Stream
For KVPY, you can study from IIT-JEE or NEET reference books.
How to Prepare for KVPY along with JEE/NEET?
Try to finish your respective JEE or NEET syllabus before November. If you know all important concepts, have made notes, and solved KVPY level questions, you can do well in the exam. Solve KVPY past years papers, it is of utmost importance. If you are an IIT-JEE aspirant, the KVPY exam is a good opportunity to test your concepts understanding and application of logic which is required to clear JEE. NEET aspirants can test their PCB concepts through KVPY exam.
Do I Need Coaching for KVPY Preparation?
Yes, it will be helpful if you join coaching for KVPY so that you can finish the syllabus in time. A KVPY short online course is ideal for KVPY SA and SX/SB aspirants. Students who join a coaching get good help from teachers and as a result it becomes slightly easier for them to clear the KVPY exam.
Best Online Coaching for KVPY 2019-20
A team of experienced and qualified teachers (including IITians and KVPY Scholars) will teach you online using computer/laptop and internet connection. Mystudycart online classes are live and interactive that allows 2-way communication between teacher and student. It’s like a normal classroom where you will be able to interact with teacher and can ask your doubts. The batch calendar will be given to you in advance. The hard copy study material will be delivered to your home after the enrollment, and a free online test series will also be provided for solving mock tests.
Do you like to prepare for KVPY from experienced and highly qualified teachers, right from your home? Check out a Free Online Demo Class now.
For queries related to our online courses and scholarship, you may contact us on +91-888-2124-333.