NTSE 2022-23 Preparation Strategy + Study Plan + Online Coaching
This is a preparation guide for NTSE aspirants. Here we will see NTSE preparation strategy, study plan, MAT/ SAT Subject-wise tips and all other important things to keep in mind to crack the NTSE Stage-1 and Stage-2 exam.
NTSE Preparation 2022-23 [Table of contents]
For NTSE exam latest updates, important dates, application form, selection procedure, eligibility criteria and scholarship rewards under NTSE scheme - NTSE Examination Details.
What is NTSE Exam?
NTSE (National Talent Search Examination) is the most prestigious examination at high school level in India. The objective of NTSE is to identify and recognize students with high intellect and academic talent and help them for higher studies by providing scholarships at different stages. The NTSE examination is conducted for students in class 10 only.
The NTSE scholars get scholarship amount per month from class 11 to graduate, postgraduate and up to Ph.D level. NTSE also builds the confidence of a student to prepare for competitive exams like IIT JEE and NEET.
How to Prepare for NTSE Stage 1 and Stage 2?
Majority of students begin their NTSE preparation in class 8, 9 and 10. Start with NCERT textbooks of Math, Science, Social Science and Arihant + RS Aggarwal books for MAT preparation.
NTSE requires you to have strong basics in Math, Science and excellent problem solving skills for Mental Ability questions. Joining a foundation course will help you to crack the NTSE exam.
NTSE Study Plan and Preparation Strategy
- Build a habit of daily studies. You don’t have to study for 10 hours a day but you must devote at least 3-4 hours to self-study everyday (other than coaching).
- Read NCERT carefully – line by line. Arihant and RS Aggarwal are good reference books for NTSE.
- Revise what you are being taught in school and coaching. It would ensure that you don’t forget facts in subjects like Social Studies and Biology.
- Make short notes of whichever chapter you read.
- Don’t skip any chapter or topic because you find it boring or hard to understand. Take help from teachers to clear all your doubts.
- Practice questions regularly for MAT and Math. The more problems you solve, the more you will become familiar with strategies for picking the right formula in tests and exam.
- If taking coaching for NTSE, attend your classes regularly. Complete homework and assignments on time.
- Clear your basics of almost all the chapters so that you can tackle easy or moderate level problems in those chapters, because sometimes easier questions may come from the chapters which you didn’t prepare that well.
- Solve NTSE previous year papers and mock tests within the stipulated time so that you can improve your speed, accuracy and time management.
- Analyze your tests for silly mistakes, weak areas and the questions where you faced difficulty.
- Don't take too much pressure. Sleep for 7-8 hours daily and study consistently.
NTSE MAT Preparation Tips and Tricks
NTSE MAT refers to the Mental Ability Test. The MAT test checks the candidate’s ability to think, reasoning and problem solving skills. Having a good preparation of MAT will increase your chances of selection in NTSE.
Tips and tricks for NTSE MAT paper :
- Solve as many questions as possible of Mental Ability to get more confident about your speed and accuracy.
- Focus on time management as you may spoil the paper despite knowing the answer simply because of shortness of time.
- Make a habit of solving MAT questions daily so that you can inherit the art of problem-solving.
- Practice both verbal and non-verbal questions in MAT.
- R.S. Aggarwal’s handbook is extremely helpful for preparing for the MAT section of NTSE.
- Refer Arihant Book of NTSE to practice mock tests.
NTSE SAT Preparation
NTSE SAT stands for Scholastic Aptitude Test. NTSE SAT will have questions from Math, Science and Social Science (SST). NTSE SAT paper tests students’ for their academic knowledge, reading and application skills.
How to Prepare for NTSE Maths?
NTSE Math is not difficult if you have studied Math properly till class 10. There will be 20 questions of Maths in the NTSE SAT paper.
Preparation tips for NTSE Maths :
- Practice is the key to score good marks in NTSE Maths. Practice questions from wherever you can, the maximum you can.
- Remember all the formulas and every shortcut possible.
- Make sure your Geometry, Trigonometry and Everyday Math are strong.
- Avoid silly calculation mistakes. Exams like NTSE, JEE are not about solving all the questions in the paper, but trying to gain maximum accuracy with no silly mistakes.
- Solve previous year questions. Math is a subject where only practice can lead to excellence.
How to Prepare for NTSE Science?
NTSE Science consists of Physics, Chemistry and Biology. There will be 40 questions of Science in the NTSE exam. Students with good knowledge of basic concepts in Science can score well in the exam.
Tips to prepare for NTSE Science :
- Understand the concepts well. You need to have a good understanding of basic concepts of Science taught in class 8, 9, 10.
- Study NCERT properly for Chemistry and Biology. Make precise notes for each chapter and keep revising.
- Some of the important chapters in NTSE Science are – Light/ Motion in Physics, Basic Chemistry (stoichiometry, acids bases, salts, etc) and Life processes in Biology.
- Solve previous years questions to get the idea of the level of Science questions asked in the exam.
- For NTSE stage-1, cover the topics that are not part of CBSE syllabus but part of state syllabus.
NTSE Social Science (SST) Preparation
SST (Social Science) is an important and scoring subject for NTSE. There will be 40 questions of SST in the NTSE exam. NTSE Social Science consists of History, Geography and Civics.
Given below are some tips to prepare for NTSE Social Science.
- The best way to study social science for NTSE is to study it with your school schedule, so that you can cover both Boards and NTSE preparation.
- Take your books and a highlighter. Highlight all the stuff which can be framed into questions.
- Study as many topics as possible in Social, as direct questions will be asked in the NTSE exam.
- For NTSE Stage-1, read from your State Board Social Studies books as the majority of questions are from these books.
Steps to make a timetable for NTSE preparation :
- Think about when you do your best study. Recognize your strengths and how your energy shifts throughout the day and plan your timetable accordingly.
- Take small challenges, like for 10 days you will study as per the same routine. It can become a habit that leads you to crack NTSE.
- If you are not able to follow your schedule, figure out what went wrong, plan for it, and try again.
- Your timetable should provide flexibility if any subject or topic requires more time than allotted, or when a test is scheduled for the next day.
NTSE Preparation Books
Best Books for NTSE Preparation (Recommended by Teachers and NTSE Scholars) : NTSE Preparation Books
NTSE Syllabus 2022, 2023
While there is no specified or official syllabus for NTSE, students are tested on their Mental Ability skills and Subject specific knowledge till class 10.
Complete Syllabus of NTSE SAT and MAT : NTSE Syllabus
NTSE Study Material
Most of the coaching institutes' study material have similar types of modules and questions for NTSE preparation. NTSE aspirants can study from NCERT books and JEE/ NEET foundation study material.
How to Prepare for NTSE along with JEE/ NEET?
JEE/ NEET foundation will take care of NTSE Math and Science preparation. Students will also be prepared for the NTSE MAT section. For Social Science, you can follow a specific study schedule dedicated to NTSE SST preparation.
Do I Need Coaching for NTSE Preparation?
Yes, it will be helpful if you join coaching for NTSE preparation. Students who join coaching get help and guidance from teachers and as a result it becomes slightly easier for them to clear the NTSE exam.
Best Online Coaching for NTSE 2022-23
Mystudycart provides the best online coaching for NTSE. A team of experienced and qualified teachers (including IITians and NTSE Scholars) will teach you online using a computer/laptop and internet connection.
Mystudycart NTSE online coaching classes are live and interactive that allows 2-way communication between teacher and student. It’s like a normal classroom where you will be able to interact with the teacher and can ask your doubts. The batch calendar will be given to you in advance. The hard copy study material will be delivered to your home after the enrollment, and a free online test series will also be provided for solving mock tests.
Do you like to prepare for NTSE from the best faculty and experts, right from your home? Check out a Free Online Demo Class now.
For queries related to our online courses and scholarship, you may contact us on +91-888-2124-333.