The key to master organic chemistry in NEET/AIIMS preparation involves discipline, putting in time consistently, doing problems, focusing on learning concepts. The more interested in and passionate about organic chemistry that you can get, the better you’ll do in the subject. Studying becomes less of a burden when it’s something you find interesting.
Some Tips to Study Organic Chemistry for NEET and AIIMS :
- Build a solid foundation from the start. A solid foundation, is the most important thing to succeed in organic chemistry. Learn concepts, practice and identify weaknesses, then practice weaknesses. As the test approaches, emphasis on strengths.
- Focus on understanding, not just memorization. There are some topics that require memorization – like nomenclature terms, functional groups, and so on. Memorization is good as long as you are understanding the concepts deeper. Focus less on memorizing long sequences of arrows, and chunk mechanisms into steps.
- If you truly understand the theory and reasoning of what your being taught, you will be better able to apply it to other sections of organic chemistry. Knowing why something happens is very useful because it allows you to apply it to other situations.
- Never miss a class and always be engaged with the teacher. Half the battle is just showing up. Go over the class notes every day over and over. Don’t fall behind, avoid procrastination, write things out (such as reactions and mechanisms).
- Consistently practice problems. It is one thing to just pay attention in class but at the end of the day you’re not going to understand topic until you do problems. After doing a problem, ask yourself what you learned from it, instead of just mentally ticking it off and moving on to the next one.
- Make a notebook of mistakes you make and revise it regularly.
- When a teacher says “this is something important you should really know”, highlight it, learn and understand it.
- Basic physics concepts help in learning organic chemistry. A good understanding of electrostatics, familiarity with the basics of thermodynamics, equilibria and kinetics will help you in grasping the topics.
- Right from the start of the preparation, make note cards to learn reactions (with examples and mechanisms).
- Solve all the questions from previous years papers (minimum 10 question papers). In NEET, often the exact same question or a slight change (i.e. change a molecule here and there) from the previous years’ questions can be asked.
- During the exam or mock test, don’t get frustrated when not able to solve a question. Finish the rest of the exam and come back to the problem.
The best way to learn and be successful at organic chemistry is practice, doing problems and problems, and as you are practicing, you are retaining all the mechanisms for a long term without actually memorizing the mechanisms only for a test.
Don’t get demotivated by people saying organic chemistry is very hard. Prepare and study consistently. You can definitely score well in organic chemistry.
Related Tips : How to Tackle Organic Chemistry for NEET?
We’re listening to students.
Have something to say about this article, or any question in mind? Share it with us on Facebook