Now that only one exam i.e. NEET-UG will be conducted, there is only one chance in one year to get through and get your dream medical college. This also means there will be minor changes in strategies but core NEET preparation is the same. I will cover each subject separately and give some specific points common to all.
How to Read NCERT for NEET Exam?
Here are the tips to read NCERT for NEET preparation.
- Start from the basics. Thoroughly read your NCERTs, read it one time then another and then another.
- Every time you read it, you will find something new which would stimulate your grey cells. This is especially true for Biology.
- By reading NCERT, I mean all the texts, diagrams, captions, summary, points to ponder, tables.
- Do all the in-text, solved and exercise question.
- Do the NCERT exemplar of the same. Both subjective and objective questions. Also read the NCERT lab manual.
- The most important questions in NEET are the previous year questions. Do look at them and take a note of questions asked outside NCERT. This would give you a perspective about the type of questions asked in the NEET exam. They are most reliable but not 100% as in entrances, surprises are expected.
How to Read NCERT Chemistry for NEET?
Here are the tips to read NCERT Chemistry for NEET exam.
- For Chemistry, we have Organic, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry. All of them require separate approach.
- Inorganic Chemistry strategy majorly same as Biology.
- In Physical Chemistry, read a chapter from NCERT, class notes, coaching package. Solve questions to see how strong is your concept. I would suggest packages and a book N. Awasthi NEET version.
- Organic chemistry requires deep understanding and extra reading. Read NCERT carefully first. Understand the mechanism and exceptions. Some are named reaction. Practice them all.
- Read your class notes and package. Also read extra book especially for GOC (General Organic Chemistry) as GOC forms backbone for all the upcoming chapters.
- Practice lots of questions. In extra books you will get NCERT reactions mechanisms. Understand them.
- Now that merging of exams (NEET, AIIMS and JIPMER) is there, tougher questions from Organic Chemistry are very much expected.
Related Post : Tips to tackle Organic Chemistry for NEET
How to Read NCERT Physics for NEET?
Here are the tips to read NCERT Physics for NEET exam.
- For Physics, conceptual clarity is the key. Sirf formula yaad karne se kaam nahi chalega (only remembering formula will not do). Unki derivations aani chahiye (should know their derivations).
- There are formulas which need to be remembered as their derivations are too long or not for our level. But don’t try to mug it up.
- Many people may not agree with me but read your Physics NCERT for all the chapters. It will give you a basic sense about chapter.
- Read your class notes and package to know basic concepts and formulas. Maintain a register for formulas. Revise them regularly.
- Solve lots of questions. Start from easy questions then go higher up. Points to ponder in NCERT are very important.
- See the JEE Main papers for Physics and Chemistry to get an edge.
Related Post : Tips to Prepare for NEET Physics
How to Read NCERT Biology for NEET?
Here are the tips to read NCERT Biology for NEET exam.
- For Biology, you would have heard many a times that NCERT is God. And that is true. When I was an aspirant, I really had a doubt ki kitna extra aayega (how much extra will come)? Bahar ka padhlu (shall I read outside NCERT)? In any case, don’t ignore your NCERT. As jo bahar se aayega you don’t know kaha se aayega (you don’t know from where extra will come). But doing NCERT questions correct is the most important thing.
- Due to one exam now, more outside questions would be there but NCERT toh master karo pehle (master the NCERT first)!
- For extra, you can refer coaching modules. But it shouldn’t be your main book.
- Read class notes from your coaching after you read NCERT.
- For objective questions I suggest coaching package and MTG NCERT at your fingertips. Great book.
- Keep revising biology time to time.
- Some chapters require very deep understanding. Give them their due credit.
- Some chapters like Morphology, Anatomy, Biodiversity require memorization, do that regularly.
Is NCERT Biology sufficient for NEET?
Although NCERT Biology is the best recommended book for NEET, you still need to read coaching modules for extra stuff which has been asked in NEET exam in the last few years. For solving multiple choice questions, you can also buy a NEET reference book.
For Motivation in NEET Preparation
I know there is a lot to do in less time. But what I feel is it is worth it later on. Getting a medical seat is a big deal. “Jab milta hai tab pata chalta hai (you realize when you get it).” Just put your focus towards your goal. Sometimes there is frustration, anger, boring monotonous course but a beautiful journey is waiting ahead. Every person who is in the medical college has gone through this. Just keep up the hard work and all the best. First do the basics then go higher up.
This is a guest post from Gautam Chellani (AIR 28 and AIR 154 in NEET-UG and AIIMS-UG 2019 respectively).
Learn the best ways to read NCERT from NEET experts and teachers in NEET online courses.