How to study permutation and combination for JEE? Is it an easy or difficult chapter? How important is permutation and combination for JEE Main? Are there any tricks for solving permutation and combination questions?
In this guest post, Rakshit Tiwari from IIT Guwahati will try to answer the above questions for JEE aspirants.
Is Permutation and Combination Important for JEE?
Yes, Permutation and Combination is important for JEE Mains and Advanced. If there is a chapter in Mathematics which actually focuses on real life problem solving, for sure it’s Permutations and Combinations. Probability is just a subset of Permutations and Combinations. It has the caliber to become a nightmare in the life of a JEE aspirant.
I had a tough time dealing with Permutations and Combinations for JEE. A lot of extra effort is required to study permutations and combinations for JEE compared to most other topics of Maths.
Best Way to Study Permutations and Combinations for JEE
Tips and tricks to study permutations and combinations for JEE :
- Give some time to the chapter. You need to devote a lot of time to actually become proficient in permutations and combinations. It’s not going to be a cakewalk for sure.
- Regularity is the key. While the permutation and combination chapter is going on in your coaching, make sure that you are not even a single day behind from what is going on in the class. You need to revise notes and solve a minimum number of P&C questions each day to be able to understand the next topics well. All the things are interconnected, so make sure that you don’t lag behind.
- Curiosity is one way to master permutations and combinations. It’s not just by solving questions but by creating ones. Yeah, create your own questions! It’s easy, too damn easy. Just think of anything you can and imagine the number of ways to arrange, derange, permute or divide that thing (if possible). You can create an infinite number of questions. One needs to be that curious to actually come out as a winner and conqueror of this topic.
- Don’t let any question unanswered. The next thing is that you should develop the ability to answer your own question and curiosity. I remember that I used to think of some really silly problems which were very easily solved but that eventually helped me in thinking about some tough problems in which I had no idea how to proceed. I immediately asked my teachers for help and never let an unanswered question become a haunting doubt.
- Develop thinking ability. A very limited portion of the real permutations and combinations is included in the JEE syllabus. There are several things like the derangement formula, multinomial theorem, etc. which are not particularly in syllabus but if you can develop thinking ability in these topics, for sure you will have a better arsenal compared to other fellow competitors. Yes, you need to go a bit out of the syllabus and comfort zone to become better in the permutation and combination.
These are some really specific points which help you become stronger in Permutations and Combinations for JEE.
Learn Permutations and Combinations from the top faculty and experts in Mystudycart JEE Online Courses.
Related Post : Tips to Improve Math Skills for IIT JEE