JEE Main is conducted twice a year (January and April) in computer-based mode by the National Testing Agency. Candidates can appear in one or both the exams, it will be considered as a single attempt for the year. If appeared twice, the best score among the two will be considered for rankings.
Why is JEE Main conducted twice a year?
The objective of conducting JEE Main twice a year is to help students in case one bad day, due to any reason, should not hamper their chances of taking admission in a good engineering college.
Advantages of conducting JEE Main two times in a year :
- The best feature of conducting JEE Main twice is that a student will not lose one year if he/ she is not able to perform good due to any reason, because there will be two examinations before the admission.
- Candidates can appear in either one or both the JEE Main exams. If given twice, the best score among the two will be taken into account for the result and admission.
- The online (computer based examination) mode of JEE Main makes the process of conducting the exam faster and error free.
- Candidates will have less pressure of performing well in the exam.
NTA JEE Main – Frequently Asked Questions
Should I attempt one or both JEE Main exams?
Since the “best of two” approach will be applicable, it’s a no-brainer that everyone should attempt both the JEE Main exams in January and April. Two chances are better than one.
Can class 12 students give the JEE Main exam in January?
Yes, class 12 students are eligible to give the JEE Main exam in January. Candidates can again attempt the exam in April to improve their scores.
Can a 12th passed student take the JEE Main twice?
Yes, 12th pass out students and droppers can take the JEE Main twice in January and April, just like rest of the candidates.
JEE Main January and April exams are considered as two attempts or a single attempt for the year?
JEE Main January and April exams are considered as the single attempt only. Candidates can choose to appear for either one or both the exams. If attempted both, the best score among the two will be considered for rankings.
Related Page : JEE Main Examination Details
Ideal strategy for JEE Main Preparation after NTA giving two chances to clear the exam
Strategy-wise you have two chances to clear the JEE Main.
- Take the January exam as a rehearsal to test your preparation and exam temperament. Consider it as a practice test with full preparation. You may lack in solving enough full paper tests or revisions but it’s worth giving the exam in January to understand the level of questions.
- Continue with your preparation after the January exam. If your score is low, then you need to improve, study and practice hard for the exam in April. Candidates can improve their percentile by giving JEE Main April exam.
If you are a dropper, you may like to target the January exam and keep April as a backup.
Prepare for the JEE Main January and April exam at the comfort of your home by learning from the best faculty and experts in JEE Online Courses.
We’re listening to students.
Have something to say about this article, or any question in mind? Share it with us on Facebook